Tuesday, May 02, 2023

[988] Latest Dream Gravel Bike Build Dump

So I've been watching a lot of youtube videos about the latest bike tech and news and I've got this urge to start building my dream gravel bike build yet again. So for the nth time here are some components I'd want for my dream gravel bike build.

Just remember that this build is purely a mental exercise. I don't have the funds to buy any of these. Sadly.
  • Ritchey Outback Frameset size XS. I have no idea if XS is the right size for me because I'm just basing it from rough measurements I've taken from my current bike, the Tsunami Seaboard CX01. I do like the external cable routing of the frame, as well as the multiple mounting points for bottle cages, fenders, and bags.
  • Ritchey Comp Zeta Disc Shimano 11 speed wheelset. Another Ritchey component? Hell yes. And they're aluminum as well. There's no reason I can give for why I chose this wheelset because I've never been that interested in wheelsets and tires since I just bike casually and not competitively. I'd replace the front hub with the SON 28 12 Disc 6-bolt Hub Dynamo so I can have a power source for lights or charging power banks.
  • Specialized Pathfinder Sport 700x38 gravel tires. I've heard great things about the Pathfinder tires from the Bonk Bros Podcast, though I'm guessing these aren't the tires they're talking about. If these tires are too thick I can always go with the IRC Boken Plus 700x32 gravel tires. I have no idea if I'll be going tubeless or not so in case I decide to get inner tubes it will most likely be Tubolito's Tubo-CX/Gravell-All inner tubes.
  • For the seat post and stem I'm going with Redshift Sports' ShockStop System. I've also heard good things about their suspension seatpost and stem and wouldn't mind having a more comfortable bike when I go out and ride.
  • For the handlebar I currently want the Coefficient AR carbon handlebar either in size 38 or 40. This handlebar supposedly gives you a more comfortable and efficient ride. I just hope the science behind the handlebar complements the suspension stem from Redshift Sports.
  • For the groupset I'm going with my ever reliable Sensah SRX Pro 1x11. By groupset I mean the brifters and the rear derailleur. The reason why I'm picking the SRX Pro is because it's RD can handle up to a 52T cog. I checked Shimano's GRX specs and the biggest gear it can handle is 42T. And yes, I want a mechanical groupset. None of those battery operated groupsets. The reason why I want a dynamo hub is for lights and/or charging power banks.
  • All is not lost though because I'll be using Shimano components for other parts of the drivetrain. Like the GRX 42T crankset and the Tiagra BB68 bottom bracket. At the rear is the Deore XT Linkglide 11-50 cassette. Everything will be pulled by a Shimano 105 11-speed chain. If you're wondering why I "only" picked a 105 chain, it's because I'm less of a competitive and more  of a casual cyclist. My current bike also has a 42T chainring and 11-50 cassette so I think this is more than enough for my kind of riding.
  • For brakes I'm going with TRP Spyre brakes. They're mechanical dual piston brake calipers that should be enough for the kind of riding I'm doing. Also today I learned that the TRP Spyre is their road brakes and the TRP Spyke is for mountain bikes. So Spyre it is.
  • Finally for pedals it's either going to be a Shimano flat pedal or their Saint SPD dual clipless pedals. I was also considering Crankbrothers but according to some websites Shimano has more durable pedals.
Well there you have it. One option for full groupset, crankset, and brakeset would be Campagnolo's Ekar 13 speed groupset. Reasons why I didn't pick this is because a) I'm not sure the cassette will fit in with my chosen wheelset, and b) their cassettes don't reach 50T. At my age and riding style (take a swig of beer every time you read this in this blog post) I'd rather have big gears in my cassette to help me because I've experienced going up a climb and needing my really big cassettes.

Out.