Thursday, October 13, 2022

[945] Second-Hand Car

With the fuel prices and inflation peaking I've been doing a lot of online window shopping for second-hand cars. My previous plan was to get one of the smaller, 1.2L hatchbacks that boast great fuel economy in city conditions. This plan has sort of changed, though.

First of all the fuel economy reports of those said hatchbacks do have a big caveat. They were tested with only one person in the car with minimal gear. So I have no idea how much lower the fuel consumption will be with three to four people and cargo.

My second reason for changing parameters is driving on the highway. Sure those cars can go for long road trips, but I'm not sure how strained the engine would be when you do overtaking maneuvers. I think I'd rather get a slightly bigger car with at most a 1.5L engine that is a bit more powerful.

This is why I mentioned previously that my search has spread to both the Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris. Now though I've included non-hatchbacks in my search. I just need to make sure I find the best choice I can find. My biggest factors are:

  1. Fuel economy. Has to be at worst 7-8km/L in heavy traffic in the city while carrying three to four passengers and cargo. This buys me 1-2km/L for gas, so extends the range a bit. Plus it won't be me doing the driving most of the time. I do know I can improve fuel efficiency of the Rav4 when I drive because the one or two times I drove that Rav4 the fuel consumption went up above 7km/L when we topped it up.
  2. Reliability. I don't want to buy a second-hand car that starts breaking down the moment I start driving it. We have that problem already with one of my mom's cars. I can't afford getting a second-hand car that needs constant maintenance.
  3. Maintenance costs and parts availability. I won't be a total cheapskate and buy the cheapest replacement parts available. I've always had a mindset of using original parts or OEM spec parts made by reliable brands for car repairs/maintenance.
  4. Looks. Just because I can only afford a second-hand car doesn't mean I can't get a car I want, so I really want to get a car I can grow to love like how I treat the Rav4 I use.
Ideally I'd still love to eventually find a reliable Honda Jazz but to be honest I'm also a bit worried how much replacement parts cost. Whenever I do make my purchase I do hope I make the right decision because I plan on owning that car long term.

... So a classic Volkswagen Beetle? Just kidding, I think.

Out.