Monday, October 10, 2022

[944] Challenge Myself

I calculated the distance to travel from here to my folks' place in the province via bike using https://onthegomap.com/#/create . Roughly 124km far and not as bad with climbs and descents as I thought.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of the gradients though. From what I've seen it's relatively smooth riding with maybe 6% as the worst. I'd love to share the route here but then you'd know where I live and where my folks live, so nevermind.

It's a challenge that has interested me for the longest time. Here are my reasons why I hope I can do this.

  1. I'm scared to ride in public roads. What better way to beat that than riding to a far away place. Just need to ride relatively steady pace and keep my lights on all the time.
  2. It's over 100km far. The farthest I've ridden here in the subdivision is 14km. I have no idea if my stamina can hold out, but what I do know is I'll most likely be taking multiple stops to rest, use the bathroom, and eat.
  3. This seems like an adventure I'd love to experience. I've never pushed myself to do something this crazy, yet here I am.
If I ride at a minimum pace of around 15kmh it will take me over 8 hours. Factor in my breaks and there's a big chance it will balloon to 12 hours total time. This means I would have to start my ride as early as 4am or so so that I have enough time to get there before the sun sets.

Summer / dry season would also be the ideal time to try this out so that the sun is out longer. Plus less chances of rain. Maybe I will try this out next year.

Out.