Monday, May 30, 2022

[919] Lizards

We're spending a few days at my parents' house in the province. They've got two houseguests. Two big lizards.

I'm guessing they are Tokay geckos based on a quick google search. It also appears as if they've reached full size since I'm pretty sure they're at least 8 to 10 inches long already. I haven't heard them make noises, but I've seen them both.

Yes, both. The gecko I saw last night seemed to have a shorter tail and a thicker body, while the one I just saw a few minutes ago had a longer tail and narrower body. I managed to take a few photos using my phone but because I had to zoom in, the quality is really bad.

So I know these geckos are nocturnal and it's hard to see them. I guess since they've lived in my folks' house for the longest time they're a bit less worried about humans? Plus it's night time and they need to feed so I guess it's hunger over fear.

I also heard from my dad that the painting they're hiding behind also had eggs before. So I'm hoping they've managed to raise some kids and help keep their numbers relatively high. That wikipedia article I read says that they're being hunted to extinction so I just have to say that these guys are in a safe space in this house.

Out.