Friday, May 06, 2022

[916] My Dream Bike Components Setup

Let me preface this by saying I am just doing this for fun. I have neither the funds nor the patience to actually do this build. For now.

It has been a couple of months since I finished assembling my gravel bike (with a lot of help from others) and since then I've gained experience about cycling in general. So now during free time I do research about bike parts and bike tech and other bike related stuff.

I have decided that I will try to build around my Tsunami Seaboard CX01 frame. Let's begin with the groupset and other related components.

  1. Brifters. Brake levers with shifters integrated. I'm not going for a fully hydraulic build so I'm going with Shimano 105 Dual Control levers for both the left and right hood. Yes, they are 2x11 and yes I have decided that maybe, just maybe, a 2x set up might be something I want to experience.
  2. Brakes. I like having my hybrid disk brake calipers. They are basically cable pulled hydraulic brakes so in keeping with that train of thought I would "upgrade" to the Yokozuna Ultimo 4-piston calipers for both front and rear. These apparently come with 6-bolt 160mm brake rotors so that takes care of the braking system.
  3. Derailleurs. It'll be all Shimano GRX derailleurs for me, with the FD-RX810-F front derailleur and the RD-RX810 rear derailleurs. Note that the max low cog for the RD is 34T. This is why I decided to go with a 2x setup.
  4. Crankset, bottom bracket, cassette, and chain. Once again all Shimano (are you sensing a pattern?) with the FC-RX600-11 GRX crankset with the 46-30T chainrings. For the bottom bracket I'm going with the Shimano GRX BB-RS500 BB68 since I'm pretty sure the seaboard has a BB68 bottom bracket. This will be paired with the Shimano 105 CS-HG700-11 11-speed 11-34T rear cassette. This is the reason for the 2x setup. I'll still have around a 1:1 gear ratio with a 30/34 combo, but still have enough gears for a nearly 5:1 gear ratio with the 48/11 setup. These will all be connected by the Shimano CN-HG601-11 11-speed chain. Of course I will be totally removing the lubricant of the chain because I use wax lube.
And there it is. An all Shimano setup. I have done some basic research on them and the 105 brifters are compatible with the GRX derailleurs. The biggest problem now is that these Shimano components cost a lot of money, and even the Yokozuna Ultimos are also very expensive. Which is why I did say these were my dream components for my bike.

Out.