Saturday, May 14, 2022

[917] Future Bike Related Purchases

All seriousness I only need two more things for my cycling hobby. Basically all I need are:

  • A smartwatch. Ideally the Garmin Forerunner 55.
  • Two bike sensors for speed and cadence.
I don't even need a new fork since that's mostly for aesthetics. Plus the Garmin can function as the bike computer and pair with the sensors.

So why the Garmin Forerunner 55? One answer is it has the best bang for the buck features. I've watched quite a good number of youtube reviews for the Garmin Forerunner 55 and other similar smartwatches. Garmin seems to have the best features available. It has heartrate monitoring, body battery, route logging, etc.

Heartrate monitoring is pretty crucial for me because I really want to know if I am improving myself when I ride. I don't think getting faster is enough of a metric to see if I have improved. I want to know if my heart is getting stronger as well.

The biggest reason why I'm saving up for a Garmin is the incident detection feature available in all their smartwatches. Incident detection is a feature that if something happens to me the smartwatch will tell my phone to notify select people about what happened to me. At my age this is a crucial feature.

I'm even anticipating the possibility I ride somewhere far. Incident detection will give me peace of mind that just in case something happens to me (knock on wood).

The bike sensors will pair with either my smartphone or the future smartwatch I purchase. This will give me more information for my rides. I really want to know my cadence because I still have no idea how fast I pedal in some areas. Plus I want to know if I'm more of a spinner or a grinder when I'm riding.

Anyway there you have it. I'm being a bit more practical with my expenses and being a bit more realistic with my "upgrade-itis" so that I don't spend so much.

Out.