Thursday, January 16, 2020

[831] The Super Beetle

I've always wanted a classic Beetle, no matter how impractical it is. And I did concede a few posts ago that it is more practical to own a more modern car. That doesn't mean I still don't pine for a Beetle.

I've been reading a lot about the Super Beetle lately. While it doesn't have as much value as classic, pre-1970s Beetles there are some advantages to owning a Super Beetle over the Beetle. Handling and safety were supposedly two of them. Because the Super Beetle used MacPherson struts the handling and turning radius were supposedly better. I think it also made it more stable in faster speeds, if you could ever achieve that.

Youtube has helped fuel my Beetle fire. I've seen Super Beetles become autocross machines, or Baja Bugs, despite it supposedly not being a great Baja Bug candidate.


As for me, all I want is a simple, reliable, modernized Beetle. Front brakes should be upgraded to disks, maybe a two barrel single carburetor for the engine, electricals upgraded. Replace the generator with an alternator and change the voltage to the more commonly used voltage for cars, I honestly can't remember if it was 12V from 6V or the other way around.

Aesthetic mods would most likely be a replica Kamei front splitter, a roof rack, and KC rear LED chase light bar to act as a third brake light and secondary turn signals. While we're on the topic of LEDS, maybe upgrade all possible bulbs to LEDs. Maybe even replace the entire headlights with newer, angel eye LEDs.

For rims I'd probably go from 15" rims to 16" rims, slightly wider if possible. Ideally have a full sized spare so in case one of the tires gets flat I can still put the flat tire in the wheel well.

For the paint I keep changing my mind, I used to like the color scheme of the Salzburg Rally Beetle. Then it became satin black. Or plain white so it doesn't heat up during the summer. Or the classic apple green color of the Beetle my Dad used to own. Two-tone could also work, maybe satin dark blue and white. Or a Bumblebee / Beetle GSR inspired yellow and black.

Would I place an airconditioner in the car? Maybe not. The stock engine (that you bet I'll keep as stock as possible) isn't powerful enough to handle moving the car and running an A/C. I'd try to do some slight engine mods to make it perform better. Like a dual barrel single carb Weber. Maybe improved exhaust. And an oil cooler.

Buying a Beetle and applying the mods I have in mind for it isn't practical. I might be able to find a near stock Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris for the price of whatever I had in mind for the Beetle.

A man can dream, though.


Out.