Monday, December 11, 2017

[758] Bahay ni Maria

Last December 9, 2017 we spent a few hours in the morning at Bahay ni Maria.

Maica had decided a few months ago that it would be a good way to celebrate Martina's seventh birthday by spending some time with kids in an orphanage instead of the usual birthday party. I wholeheartedly agreed on this idea since I'm not too big on parties either. Plus the fact that sharing some of our time and gifts to people in need would be a great experience not only for Martina but also for Maica and I.

So my wife took care of everything. When we should go there, who brings the food, who was invited. It would be a small, simple party with only our immediate family invited. We also invited one of Martina's best friends but unfortunately he could not make it.

We decided to get the services of Jollibee. The party package they had included food, some parlor games, and a surprise appearance by a mascot (who turned out to be Jollibee himself).

I won't get into too much detail anymore, since I want to talk about the feeling I had during and after the gathering.

They started with a simple program of Christmas songs for us. They all sang very well. After that we had a quick snack of the food from Jollibee plus some killer cheese pimiento sandwiches Maica made. I was surprised after eating that all the girls were segregating their wastes before throwing them.

Seeing the girls' faces light up when the games started was very heart-warming. The younger ones were having a great time. When Jollibee came out even the older ones started getting excited as well.

Finally when that was done, the girls all got their giveaways. A pair of pajamas and a bag of snacks. All the girls were very happy and excited. After that they invited Martina to go upstairs with them to see their rooms.

All in all, I think it went well. I honestly hope that we gave those girls in Bahay ni Maria at least a few moments were they could be happy, specially this Christmas season.

I also hope that visiting the place made a mark with Martina. I know she just turned seven but I really do hope that these things will help her develop into a compassionate and understanding person.

Personally I really enjoyed my time there. It was a very eye opening experience for me and it made me realize that there is still so much hope in this world and that giving up would be a very, very desperate action.

If the opportunity presents itself I would probably consider spending my 39th birthday with them. We shall see.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)