Saturday, December 30, 2017

[759] Tennis

I think I last played tennis in early 2000, that was almost 18 years ago.

I first took tennis lessons in the summer of 1993, before my first year of high school. As was usual my parents got me some summer activity to keep me from being a bum at home. I chose tennis lessons.

I did learn the basics and was chosen to participate in a mini-tournament among the different venues where the tennis lessons were held. This wasn't the typical tennis match you would see. Since I took the beginner course we only played in the middle half of the court (the areas where the ball is supposed to land during serve were the active areas; anything outside was out of bounds)I lost, as usual, because I kept running after the balls even if they were already out. Plus I usually got excited and ended up hitting the ball too strong.

The next time I took formal "lessons" were in college, when I chose tennis as my physical education subject. Our teacher / trainer was Tony Baluyot, who was my dad's tennis team coach when he was in college.

Aside from those two times the only times I "played" tennis was whenever my dad would bring me along whenever he played. In between sets or when his friends took a break he would spend a few minutes trying to teach me how to play. Sadly I wasn't a fast learner because of my attitude. Typical only-child thinking I knew everything and I was good at everything. Every mistake I made just made me frustrated.

I also played with my classmates. We just casually played, mostly for fun and never for competition. I doubt we even had any games. Just hitting the ball back and fort and impersonating famous tennis players at the time (Andre Agassi, Goran Ivanisevic -- my personal favorite player, Sampras, Becker, Seles, Graf, etc.)

Lately I've been thinking of trying to re-learn it again. Not just as a hobby but also as a form of exercise. I just don't know how much it would cost now to play. From buying a racket, tennis balls, and tennis shoes, to renting the court and hiring trainers. I'll probably give a look see about this in 2018.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)