Sunday, September 25, 2016

[737] Major NBA Retirements 2016

This 2016 off-season the NBA has lost three all-time greats to retirement. Kobe Bryant, announced before the start of the 2015-2016 season that he was retiring. Tim Duncan announced his decision to retire this off-season, as well as Kevin Garnett.

I grew up with these guys. Their careers started when I was in my mid-to-late teenage years. And to be honest I wasn't really much of a fan of them back then.

I was only starting to get to know the NBA during the mid-to-late 90s. We had cable TV and there were regular games showing every Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Unfortunately I was not allowed to watch TV during school days so I would get my fill during the weekends. If we weren't going out for the day. I usually tried to watch the games live in the morning here in the Philippines because I would be doing other stuff at night (like playing the guitar, playing video games, or reading).

I am sad that the players I grew up watching are now retiring, but I am happy that these guys were able to have long, successful NBA playing careers. I never really was a big fan of these three guys but I really respected their games and contributions to the NBA game.

Out of the three Tim Duncan would be the player I like the most. He was quiet, efficient, and a team player. He rarely made waves and was willing to take discounts to make sure his team was almost always successful.

Kobe Bryant is the player I would say is the closest link to Michael Jordan. His game was almost the same as His Airness. And for someone who really misses MJ (despite the fact that he's not even in my top three favorite all-time NBA players) Kobe was the guy I loved watching because of how "old school" he was.

Finally there's Kevin Garnett. I never really liked him. I was impressed with his versatility and his defensive prowess but I never liked his "tough guy" attitude. That's just my opinion.

Anyway, thanks to those three for all the memories you gave me and countless other NBA fans. May you find the success and happiness you found on the court in your new lives as retired NBA players.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)