Sunday, September 04, 2016

[735] Lucena

Yesterday Maica, Martina, and I hitched a ride with my Tita Ginx so we could visit my Lola Jinny in Lucena.

It was a day trip. Tita Ginx usually goes to Lucena every weekend because she is an ophthalmologist and she does a half-day clinic there. We left Metro Manila before dawn and we went back after lunch.

Lola Jinny is fine, I guess. She'll be turning 96 this year, and she looks like she's put on a lot of weight from the last time I saw here. I guess this is good.

Sadly she rarely speaks anymore, and is usually always asleep. She barely even opens her eyes when she is awake. I hope her hearing is still sharp and I hope the presence of her first great-grandchild (Martina) was enough to lift her spirits.

I am planning on visiting again. I might even try to do this at least once a month. If not with Maica and Martina then by myself.

My grandmother could use all the company she needs. Despite the fact that she's almost always asleep and rarely opens her eyes, I did try to strike up a conversation with her. She will nod her head and respond to my questions. Which is good.

Out.