Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Stuck in a Quandary

Quandary - "A difficult situation; a practical dilemma."

I'm stuck in a quandary. I've computed my family's monthly budget. I've computed it with all major, mandatory, monthly expenses (including putting some money in our savings account). The sad truth is we are not earning enough.

This is not right. I promised myself when I was younger that once I started working I would earn (or make, if I decide to go the entrepreneur route) enough that I would not have to compromise the lifestyle I grew up in. Neither will I compromise the lifestyle I wish to give my wife and daughter.

Don't take me wrong, we don't live any extravagant lifestyle. I just want to be able to take my family out every weekend for a good time and eat some good food. I want to be able to take my wife out for dinner once in a while. I want to have enough spare cash available that I can buy some stuff I want, whatever that may be. And I want to be able to pay for whatever needs my daughter may have - education, health expenses, hobbies.

Right now I can't do that. Even if my wife and I combined our earnings, it's not enough.

What sucks is my wife already has a part-time job. It's stressing her out so much that I find it frustrating that I can't even be the main breadwinner in the family.

On the bright side, I didn't factor in my wife's income from her part-time job in our budget. Meaning there could be a little more leeway. But I do not find that acceptable.

I want to earn or make enough money that my wife and I don't need to look for other sources of income. I want to earn or make enough money that we can afford to live totally independent, with enough spare cash to take nice holidays, buy cool stuff, or learn some hobbies.

The only way to do that is to find a better paying job, or move abroad. And I am seriously considering both options.

Out.