Sunday, April 28, 2013

And Now for Some Relaxing Stuff

Early April my family spent a long weekend over in Shangri-La Mactan.

One of the best weekends we've spent. The resort was beautiful, the beach and the pools were nice, and the food was great. It was the perfect weekend getaway.

So now for some highlights.

  • Black Pepper Squid in Cowrie Cove. This was the best meal I had in the resort. I'm serious. It's just the best. It was delicious, the squid was not tough, and the pepper gave just the right amount of oomph.
  • The man-made (?) beach. Not sure if it was man-made, but I loved spending five to six hours a day there. My parents and I would arrive around nine or ten in the morning, and we'd leave there around three in the afternoon. Then I'd spend time with my wife in one of the pools, since she doesn't want to get tan.
  • The service. Quality hotel with quality service. Worth every centavo paid. I never felt that the greetings the staff gave me were forced in any way. They were all warm and friendly.
  • The relaxing mood. What else can you do there but relax? Wake up early. Have some buffet breakfast. Get back to the room to freshen up. Hit the beach. Grab some lunch in the beach. Get back to the room. Go to the pool. Have dinner. Sleep. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • The free toiletries. L'Occitane branded soaps, shampoos, and lotions. Wow.
Of course there were some lowlights.

  • My daughter got sick with tonsilitis. The doctor's fee was expensive, and my wife and I got quite a scare until after she got checked up.
  • The price. Yes it was worth every penny, but that doesn't hide the fact that it was expensive to stay there. Had it been cheaper I would have asked my mom to spend an extra day or two more.
  • Inaccessibility. My wife and I never left the resort. We could have taken the shuttle or the taxi into Cebu City, but the resort was pretty far away. So we just bummed out at the resort.
That's about it. It's a shame I had to write about it only now, a few weeks after we spent our vacation. Maybe next time when we go on another vacation I will write about it as soon as I return to the "real world."

Out.