Monday, March 11, 2013

The Mitsubishi Outlander

I've always had a soft spot for the Mitsubishi Outlander. Actually, the Outlanders sold here, which would mean the first and second generations.

I've heard rumors that the first generation was under-powered, that the single-overhead cam made it weak. Who cares? I didn't drive fast, it looked nice (still does), it had one of the first few tiptronic gearboxes available in the Philippines that wasn't in a luxury car, and it even had four-wheel drive. It also had decent space and decent ride height.

The second one that came out looked even better than the first gen. It had a sleeker, more aggressive look. And it came with a top-of-the-line 3.0L V6 variant. So the power issue was addressed. Aside from that, the best variant also had paddle shifters - again, another feature that you usually found on luxury cars in the Philippines. And it also came with a Rockford Fosgate speaker system and subwoofer.

Looking at the local online second-hand buy-and-sell sites, a decent second generation Outlander costs around 600k and above. If you get lucky you could probably even get the top-of-the-line model, but with petrol prices nowadays I don't think that's a good idea.

So why am I writing about the Outlander? Because it's not being sold here anymore. I don't know what replaced it, if it was the Montero Sport or the ASX. I'm just bummed it isn't being sold anymore.

Not that I have money to buy it, but this vehicle would definitely be one of the top choices I'd have if I were to purchase a second-hand vehicle.

Out.