Friday, June 15, 2012

Why I Stopped Playing The Sims Social on Facebook


A few weeks ago I decided to (finally) stop playing The Sims Social on Facebook. The Sims Social is a free online casual game. So why did I stop playing?


It was because of the swimming pool quest. Normally I don't play quests because I usually just do what I want in the game. But then I wanted that pool. Unfortunately, after spending the time allotted to finish the quest, I failed. And it was frustrating.


I had spent almost all of my simcash (well, it was free simcash, but it was simcash nonetheless) and annoyed almost all of my friends who still played the game and I still didn't finish the quest. It pissed me off. A lot.


Yes, I do understand that The Sims Social is a game that requires having a lot of friends who also play the game. Hence the name. But at the same time, I found it insulting and frustrating that the game developers were going to penalize people who had less friends who played the game.


No, I do not want to add people I don't know just because they play the game. I have an office mate who did that. He finished the quests. Should I have added random people I saw on their fan page? No. That's not how I use Facebook.


I also stopped playing because I went on vacation with my family for about a week. While there was an internet connection where we went, I was too busy relaxing to actually bother to play the game. And you know what I realized? I don't really need to play the game. It was a fun time killer while I enjoyed it, but I just didn't enjoy it anymore.


When I did return to my regular life, I did load the game once or twice a day, but only to approve the quest requests of my friends who still played the game. But now I don't even bother clicking on the game. I'm even thinking of deleting the app from my Facebook account.


I honestly feel like the game developers could have thought of a way to let people with little or no friends who play The Sims Social finish quests without resorting to using real world money to finish quests, or without needing to add random Sims Social players as friends. But alas, that's not how they roll. So I won't be rolling with them anymore.


Out.