Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Surprise Gran Turismo 5 Car

It had been quite a long time since I last played Gran Turismo 5. For a quick background story, I was level 16 and some of my best cars were a Lamborghini Gallardo, a Ferrari 512bb, and a Renault Clio Sport.


As another aside, I do not have a PSN ID. So my GT5 has not a single patch. What I got when I bought the game is what I have up to now.


Anyway, I started playing again and I tried to race in the MR Races. I tried using either the 512bb or the Clio Sport. The problem with the Ferrari was that I had maxed it's power and it was very unstable when I pushed it as fast as I could. The Clio Sport, no matter how much setup I did, just couldn't compete against the MR race cars.


I don't claim to be a great GT5 driver. My driving style has improved since GT2, but I still have a tendency to do subtle powerslides in my driving, and I really have a hell of a time managing racing slicks. As an example, my 512bb has medium racing slicks and the rear wheels are all red after five laps around almost any track.


Well I was having a hard time at the MR races. The best finish I got at Deep Forest was sixth out of twelve. I was saving my money for either the McLaren MP4-12C or another high powered supercar. I had almost forgotten about one of my favorite supercars...


... The Ford GT.


I had made a mental error thinking that the Ford GT had the same power output as my 512bb. Well it technically was true, stupid me. You see, my fully set-up Ferrari produced better HP and torque output than a stock Ford GT. And I forgot about one important detail. The Ford GT was. Still. Stock.


So I bought a Ford GT, and with what little cash I had left got it the best suspension package, a performance chip, and the best intake and exhaust upgrades. And I won the MR Deep Forest race.


It was a close race, but it was fun. When I saved up enough money I upgraded the car again, adding stage 1 engine tuning, stage 1 weight reduction, and the best drivetrain upgrades (minues the limited slip differential, I still can't tune those properly). Now I feel confident enough to race my Ford GT in the other races that I used to have a hard time placing when I was using my Gallardo.


So what the hell was I thinking? Is the Ford GT really that great in real life? I don't care. All I know is I fell in love with the GT40 in Gran Turismo 2, and I've been a fan of the car and it's "descendants" ever since. So I'm really happy I now have a Ford GT that can win races. Plus the races I race it in are relatively balanced, meaning I still have to drive real well to win. I don't rely on super horsepower to just outrun every other car.


Out.