Sunday, December 26, 2010

Crazy for Pick-Ups

If you've been reading my blog lately you will know that I'm currently obsessing on pick-ups. Specifically, the Nissan Navarra. Well, there's another pick-up I like, and it's the Toyota Hilux.

The reason I like the Hilux is because it's a Toyota. Toyotas in the Philippines have a reputation of being reliable vehicles, and they usually offer quality service and the parts are easy to find if you choose not to have your Toyota worked on by Toyota service centers. Although if you ask me, that reputation is more based on the past and has not been reinforced lately. But that's for another post.

Let's start with the Hilux. There are three episodes of Top Gear (UK obviously since they were the original Top Gear - sorta like how CSI is the original hence no need for CSI: Las Vegas) that convinced me that the Hilux is a good pick-up. First is the episode where they tried everything they could to destroy an old Hilux yet it kept running after whatever horrors they exposed it to. Some examples of the "tortures" they did? They burned it and even left it on top of a building that was imploded. And yet it still ran.

The second episode I was not able to watch, but they sent a fleet of modified Hiluxes (?) to the magnetic North Pole. The choice of the vehicle was a very big validation of how good Toyota pick-ups are. The last episode I actually saw was when they sent a modified Hilux once used for the polar expedition to that volcano in Iceland.




Just take a look at that pick-up. Aesthetically it looks great. Plus with the performance mods they surely put it I'm pretty sure that's one bad-ass pick-up.

So if I had the cash to do it, I'd buy a Hilux and have it modded to be similar to the "Polar Hilux" the Top Gear folks used. But if I didn't have the money for mods, the Nissan Navarra would be my choice.

If I were to mod a Hilux, where would I start? Exterior aesthetics. I'd put fender flares similar to but smaller than the Polar Hilux. I wouldn't lift the suspension, but I would add bigger and wider rims. It's not like I go off-roading so let's just say that I want the Hilux to look good. I wouldn't add extra fog lamps (since there are now enforced laws in the Philippines banning fog lamps) but I might add bullbars. And maybe snorkel systems.

For the performance mods, I'd just probably fit it with better brakes and suspension. That's it. Pick-ups are not meant to be driven fast so I don't need to modify the engine. Maybe I'll add an improved exhaust system for a little extra power and torque for hauling stuff.

As for the interior, I'd improve the audio and speakers. Maybe replace the front seats with Recaros.

And that's what I would do if I had the money.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)