Friday, March 19, 2010

A Little Too Late

It has been almost four years since my parents sold our old 1996 Mazda 323 Familia. And I have just recently realized that, despite all it's faults, it was a good car to have.

Let's start with the ugly first. Something was downright wrong with the engine. Despite repeated attempts to have it fixed we could not resolve the problem. Amazingly, after getting sold, the new owner replaced the fuel pump (or something to that extent) and the car started running well again.

Then there was the problem with the headlights. See, this car wasn't parked in the garage so the headlight plastic cover yellowed over time, diffusing the light and weakening the beam. It got so bad that I was constantly driving in high beam at night.

Now for the good things I remember. First off, it was a pretty good car to drive. I am not a racer, nor do I claim that I have amazing driving skills. But this was a car I enjoyed driving briskly. It could take corners well and it accelerated and decelerated to my driving style.

Then there was the stock stereo. The sounds were great, even on stock. I did lack the CD changer, but the cassettes I played were more than enough. Plus the bass and treble were great. I am not an audiophile but the sounds were more than adequate.

If my folks didn't sell that car, then maybe I would have saved some cash to do some improvements to the car. Yes, if this looks familiar it's because I've written about these improvements over and over and over in this blog and in my written journal (that you most likely will not get to read).

I'd start with the headlights. Get new ones fitted, preferably with HID projectors. I would put real HID bulbs, the ones that don't blind oncoming traffic. Plus I'd probably go for the yellow beams. Not only would they improve night-time visibility, they'd also look good with the car. I'd also add some fog lamps for those times when the rain is falling heavily and visibility is just a few feet. Or for the times when I go on road trips.

The next thing I'd probably invest in is a CD changer for the head unit. But with the arrival of iPods and mp3 players, I'd also include an easy access jack for mp3 players. Fortunately the stock head unit of that car had a CD switch and an auxiliary switch.

If I had any more cash left, I'd then improve the rims. Install some nicer rims, maybe 16 or 17 inches. Just to give the car a more unique look. Make it stand out from the crowd. Plus adding lower profile tires will help improve the car's already decent handling.

I'd probably add rain visors just so I can open the window a bit even during the rain.

That's what I'd have basically done with the car had it been with us up to now. But since the Mazda's not with us anymore, I'll have to set my sights on something else.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)