Friday, March 28, 2008

A Dream Car

In all honesty, the most realistic car I can afford if I stay in the Philippines is a second-hand car. A brand new one seems out of reach, even if I borrow from the bank.

Plus, lets face it, it is really impractical to pay for a car for 3 years or over. Why? Because for most multi-national companies with car plans, if you get a company car now after three, four, or five years the car is turned over to you or sold to you for a really cheap price. Because each year the value of the car depreciates by around 25%. So in other words if you pay for a car for four years, by the time you're paying for it in the 4th year you would be spending on something with technically no value anymore. But I digress.

What second-hand car am I talking about? While second-hand Toyotas, Hondas and other brand cars are available in good condition and also affordable, there is one car I can realistically afford even now. And that car is the Volkswagen Beetle.

No, not the New Beetle. I mean the classic Beetle. When I was young my father owned one. I used to tease my father and belittle the car. But as I grew older I realized how nice that car was.

For one thing, I used to read comic books on it. Yes, on top of the hood. The windshield was my backrest. It was perfect. The metal was strong enough to support my weight. Plus it gave me a chance to work on my tan.

Another good thing about the Beetle is the fact that it is a classic car. It's an icon, something the New Beetle never achieved. The Beetle was the people's car. Everyone used to own one.

I'm pretty sure I can get one of those cars in good working condition (meaning the engine, brakes, transmission, suspension are reliable, the body doesn't have too much structural damage, and the electrical is still fine) for around P50k - P80k. Besides, what makes you think that I'd just buy a Beetle and leave it alone?

I'd modify the car. First things first, I'd probably try to improve the sound system, and replace the generator with an alternator. It doesn't have to be a killer sound system, but it should be enough to entertain me on my trips.

Next thing I'd do is try to improve the lights and wipers. Get brighter halogens for headlights, and LEDs for brake and signal lights. Try to add a wiper to the rear windshield. Maybe even replace the headlight and brake light housings.

Then I'd fix the brakes. If I can replace all brakes with disc brakes, even better. Make sure the brake hoses have steel lining. I know that seems overkill but you'll understand why I'm going for that.

Because then I'd have the engine fixed. Total overhaul, engine balancing, engine blueprinting. I'm going to make sure that whatever engine I get (although I'm hoping it's a 1600cc engine) will be able to perform to it's best. Because I'm going dual-carbs for the engine. Then I'm going to follow my dad's advice and play around with the oil line so that I can have a makeshift oil cooling system, since the Beetle has no radiator.

Then I'd put a short-throw shifter for the transmission. Maybe add power steering as a final touch before I do my finishing touch (outside of a repaint)...

I'm going to buy new fenders, install them, shave off the ends, buy new suspension, buy new wheels and turn my Beetle into a Baja Bug. That's right. I'm turning my Beetle, if I had one, into an off-road capable monster.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)