Sunday, August 23, 2026

1253 - A New Workstation

I've recently started doing some research for a new workstation, because I'm not really sure how much longer my laptop will last. Sadly the skyrocketing prices of RAM and storage means I'll for sure be spending a lot more than what I would want. And right now after what I've experienced with my current and previous gaming laptop I think I should listen to my practical side and buy a desktop instead.

I'm not going into specs here, rather I'll be blogging about my ideal storage set up. At the moment my ideal set up would be to have one M.2 SSD as the main OS and app storage (aka the C: drive) to handle all the operating system and apps. At the minimum I'd want it to be at 1 TB, and sadly that's the best I can get considering how expensive things are now.

The second storage would be for my personal files and save games. This would also ideally be an M.2 SSD at 1TB. Finally for the third and final storage, it would be a SATA HDD or SSD. I've seen some 2TB HDDs being sold for the same price as a 1TB SSD so that would be my first choice. The third storage would be for work files.

My current setup is just two 1TB SSDs and while it does the job, I'd rather have my work and personal files in separate storages just so they're separate.

Sadly this 3 storage setup will probably cost me as much as a decent GPU unit. Had I known RAM and storage prices would skyrocket because of AI, I would have just built this desktop workstation a few years ago.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and at the time I didn't know what I know now, not only about the prices of component but also of what happened to my workstation.

Out.