Monday, August 10, 2026

1251 - Toy Car Dreaming

I just realized recently that whenever the Philippines enters wet season and we start getting crazy amounts of rain and flash floods that my dream car suddenly becomes some simple 4x4 vehicle. Most recently I've been gravitating to a classic Suzuki Samurai long-wheelbase, similar to the one my dad used to own.

This is most likely a knee-jerk reaction to things going on around me, but to be honest the Wigo is just too low to consider braving any flood, no matter how shallow. The Grandia is too massive and not really an ideal car to use either, except that is our go-to when the rains are pouring hard since the car does have a relatively nice clearance.

So here we go with the Samurai and my resto mod ideas. As always, before anything else it has to be reliable and the body has to be in great condition, no rust spots or anything. The first thing I'd do, which might be overkill, would be to install a snorkel system for the intake, and possibly the exhaust too? Just to make sure it could handle floods, not that I'd wade it through.

Another thing I would do to the Samurai would be to add two sets of additional lights. Both of them would be PIAA 2000 series lights, with one being yellow flood lights, and the other set white spot lights. Based on stuff I've watched and read online, the yellow flood lights would be for heavy rain and additional visibility. The white spots would be used for really dark places just for additional illumination. I would still rely on the stock (or modified?) headlamps, and would only use these additional lamps as needed. I even decided the switch for both lights would be on a three-way toggle. Off, floods, and floods + spot. And these would only turn on if the headlights are on.

Actually the snorkel and lights are the only relatively extreme mods I'd want on this theoretical Samurai build. I wouldn't want a higher ground clearance, preferring the stock ride height or maybe a one or two inch lift. I'd even keep the wheels as stock as possible, meaning stock rim diameter and thickness, same with the tires. Not even going with all-terrain tires since I'll most likely rarely drive this off road.

Basically I just want a toy car that I can daily and possibly use to fetch people if flash floods do happen when they're out.

Out.