Wednesday, August 19, 2026

1252 - Used Cars and Flooding in Metro Manila

I've noticed that recently whenever it rains one way I try to distract myself from fears and anxiety is to browse Facebook Marketplace and look for old 4x4 vehicles. Three specific vehicles I look for are the Suzuki Samurai, the Suzuki Vitara, and the Mitsubishi Pajero.

Before continuing, a quick update on what's been going on in the Philippines and Metro Manila specifically. Classes are now getting called off for the volume of rainfall. My daughter has had onsite, online, online asynchronous classes for almost two weeks now because of the weather.

The flood control scandal that was exposed last year has still not led to any arrest of the masterminds. We still get really bad flooding, in some areas in Metro Manila the floods are really crazy high.

So back to the reasons why I'm looking for those three specific models. I've seen snorkels fitted on those three. The gen 1 Vitara and the Pajero has automatic transmission variants here that were locally sold. Plus considering they're relatively old, while I'd feel bad making them try to wade floods I wouldn't mind sending them to fetch family members if the need arises.

Also the ones I've seen on Marketplace are relatively cheaper than some of the used cars I like checking out, like the Honda Jazz. Quite a number of them though do need work done, and not some work, a lot of work. As long as they're running and relatively reliable that means we have a good starting point.

Right now when the rains won't stop falling and I start getting reports of light floods along routes we pass we have to use my folks' Grandia to get us places. That's our best vehicle for floods, and not something we would use for deeper floods.

Again, I'm not saying I'm going to drive the snorkeled 4x4 vehicles into maybe waist deep or deeper floods, but at least in case of serious emergencies I'd have a "break-glass-in-case-of-fire" option.

Out.