Wednesday, March 09, 2022

[906] Rising Fuel Costs

With the rising fuel costs going on right now (I think just this week gasoline went up by around PhP3.60/liter while diesel was at PhP5.60/liter) it's time once again to blog about what cars I would love to have as a daily driver.

The answer is simple and involves two words: small hatchback.

I've got a few hatchbacks I've always liked not just because of their size, but also because of their looks. So I'll post them here based on order of preference. For categories it's basically reliability, practicality, looks, and possible maintenance costs.

  1. Toyota Wigo. What I don't like about the Wigo is that it has a 1.0L engine, which is probably okay for city driving but in the event I want to go out of town we're at a big disadvantage on the highways, specifically when trying to overtake slower trucks along provincial roads. This is still my first choice just because of the Toyota reputation of reliability and readily available parts.
  2. Kia Picanto. This was originally my first choice, the Picanto with the 1.2L engine, split folding rear seats, better looking than the Wigo. However I really have no idea how readily available the Kia Picanto's parts are, and how easy they are to maintain outside of the casa.
  3. Mitsubishi Mirage. This is also another car I'm considering. I've seen plenty of these on the road and they're starting to grow on me. The reason why the Mirage is third is because I've never been a Mitsubishi fan outside of their sports cars.
  4. Suzuki S-Presso. I really like how the S-Presso looks aside from having great ground clearance. My one big issue is they didn't release one here with automatic transmission. Sure I can drive manuals, but the ease of driving around with automatics causes the S-Presso to drop in my ranking.
Those are my top four choices for a small hatchback, not that I can afford one now. Special mentions go to the Honda Brio, Honda Jazz, Hyundai Accent Hatchback, Suzuki Swift, and the Toyota Yaris. Come to think of it, slightly bigger hatchbacks might be more practical to own as both a daily driver and an out-of-town car. They're just a wee bit more expensive than those cars I listed, both purchase price and maintenance costs.

Out.