Friday, January 14, 2022

[898] Bug Post

I can't believe I'm still curious about classic VW Beetles. It seems like a nice hobby to learn how to take care of one, simply because it's a very analog car. The biggest downside I can see is the lack of safety features. Then the lack of air conditioning.

I've already posted countless times about it so I guess this is just another filler post. Or more likely I'm just rambling here to let out some stress and/or anxiety, I honestly don't know.

I have my priorities straight on my Beetle plan, if I ever do get to own one. First is to have the engine overhauled so it runs reliably. Have the body work fixed to get rid of dents and rust at the same time. It would also be a good idea to install modern three-point seat belts and update the sound system during this time as well. That should ideally take care of reliability and basic safety concerns.

Once all those are done a front wheel disc brake upgrade is up next just to make the car stop better. That would be followed up by a complete wiring harness upgrade. These things would probably take a few years to achieve since I'd have to save up for each upgrade, but these are the non-negotiables I see in owning a Beetle. It has to be reliable and safer than before.

Lately I've been reading again about single and dual carb setups. Maybe if I do learn to take care of the car myself, only going to shops as a last resort, I can see myself using a dual carb setup even on a stock engine. I've read that they help improve the performance of the engine if tuned properly.

Then again, it's not as if I actually own a Beetle at the moment, nor can I afford one as a hobby. All honesty it would be more practical to just find a more modern second-hand car with better safety features and air conditioning.

Out.