Friday, May 28, 2021

[877] Bike Related Stuff

I went biking yesterday morning, and if I start taking a real serious liking to it then I may just push through with my gravel bike build. I did notice that my average speed inside the village was 10kph. I don't mind this at the moment since I just started all over again yesterday and I do believe I can improve my pace, stamina, and desire to go biking.

I've also been doing more research about gravel bikes, and I have some new opinions about my target parts for my gravel build.

  1. Drop bar width should be around 44 to maybe 46 cm. This will depend with how low or high I plan to mount the bar with regards to the saddle. My goal is comfort, not the super aero racing pose. And yes, I want to try drop bars since I do have a really old mountain bike here.
  2. Drop bar ideally should be compact, meaning the drop and reach aren't that big. Again, the reason for this is comfort.
  3. Definitely aiming for a longer chain stay for the bike frame. This supposedly makes the ride more stable.
  4. Still hoping for a 1x groupset, while replacing the front chainring with a 38T to at most maybe a 44T oval with narrow wide teeth, if all factors allow it. Again, my goal for this theoretical build is a casual road bike I can take off road. I'm not after speed.
  5. I'm sticking with the 700 x 38c tires instead of 40s. That might be too wide anyway for the bike's purpose.
  6. Cyclocomputers are expensive, even more so if I plan to add a power meter and a cadence meter.
And that's it. I continue with my research and continue with using my old bike just to get a feel for things again.

Out.