Thursday, May 13, 2021

[876] Size is Relative

Some of the videos I enjoy watching on youtube are about small houses or apartments. The way these people solve the storage and functionality challenges that arise from have a relatively small space.

In the Philippines a 50 square meter apartment or condominium is usually very expensive and already has maybe two bedrooms if it's one of those condominiums targeted for the middle class. I guess the higher end condominiums could have a one-bedroom 50 square meter floor area, but obviously I'm not the target market of those things, not that I can even afford the middle class units.

One of my favorite youtube channels have videos with titles like "Small Apartment 50 sq meter" or something similar. Then when I watch the video it's usually in some first world country in Europe or Australia. These apartments are usually big one bedroom units that they usually rent out as AirBNB units or something. The few videos that feature actual homes are interesting but I wouldn't be surprised if the homeowner was also renting out storage lockers because their house is so spartan.

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing their units and seeing some solutions they have for their relatively small spaces. I just don't see the practicality of some of the set ups. One man's small is another man's huge, I guess. I just wish they would feature more units that are compact and actual homes, not gorgeous AirBNB units with so much space but little storage.

Out.