Monday, June 21, 2021

[878] Bike Progress

Quick post about my biking progress. I'm using the same route I use when I walk, this is because I do a little over 1km per "lap" and this gives me a decent gauge of my progress.

Progress has been good so far, my stamina is getting better as well as my speed. I've been averaging over 13kph per session, which is a lot faster than when I started. I'm also able to do more laps, usually five or six, instead of just four. I'm trying to "offset" the fact that I can do four laps in less than twenty minutes and want to do a minimum of a twenty minute bike ride every MWF.

Legs still get sore when going up the steep part of the village but I'm now using the middle chainring. I also noticed that I'd rather pedal at a slower cadence but with more effort rather than a faster cadence with less effort. I guess I prefer to get the climb over with sooner rather than later. I can also recover from the climb faster than before.

In fact earlier this morning my average speed was up to 15kph, a far cry from my first few attempts. I should probably try to maintain 13kph to 15kph average speed and work on stamina next. Plus fix all the bad habits I have when biking. Off the top of my head the things I need to improve upon are:

  1. Stretching my legs. Out of habit I always coast with my right leg at the 6 o'clock position, even when I can feel my left knee needing a stretch. So I always consciously need to have coasting periods where the left leg should be at the 6 o'clock position.
  2. Better balance while biking with one hand, both hands. I can do well with my left hand solo but the right hand needs a lot of work. I still want to have even better balance and control.
  3. Twisting my torso left and right to look back while maintaining balance. Right now I'm relying on the side mirror mounted on the left bar end of my bike to check my six but I really should start practicing twisting my body and head as well.
Anyway that's all for now. I still do my HIIT during TTh, and for that I've started doing double 20 pound kettlebell squats instead of a single kettlebell goblet squat. Hopefully that helps strengthen my quads, which I need for cycling. I'm also doing double kettlebell calf raises as well.

I've also started doing suitcase deadlifts instead of single or double kettlebell deadlifts.

Out.