Monday, November 18, 2019

[825] Remembering My Lola Jinny

Three years ago my paternal grandmother passed away.

I guess I was lucky that I was the very first grandchild. I got spoiled a lot, and my Lolo Pabling and Lola Jinny even took me with them to the USA one time. Dad unfortunately had to go and had to pay for his own ticket.


I do miss my Lola Jinny. I miss all my grandparents, but today on her 3rd death anniversary I will reminisce about Lola Jinny.

I'm glad she lived long enough to meet Martina, and I'm even happier that Martina was old enough to form decent memories with her. She would always call Martina her little princess since at that age Martina was still a big fan of Disney princesses.

However old age caught up to my grandmother and her health started deteriorating. A few weeks before she passed away we visited her in Lucena. I think this was either a few days before or after her 96th birthday.

At her weakened state she had trouble staying awake and sitting up but when she saw Martina I was very surprised she found the strength to speak. It was just a shame she wasn't the same person and her voice was very hoarse because Martina became frightened and left the room. I stayed with Lola Jinny for a few minutes, enjoying what time I had with her while she was awake.

Had I known that was the last time I would see her I probably would have talked to her a lot more. Unfortunately for me I was very naive and optimistic that she was regaining her strength and that she was slowly working her way to at least being able to eat meals in the dining room of her house. Alas, it would not be.

She passed away on November 18, 2016. I was at work when I found out. My mom, dad, and I drove to Lucena that weekend and we left dad there to be with his siblings. We came back for the funeral on a Tuesday.

Out.