Monday, June 18, 2018

[775] The New Suzuki Jimny

I literally saw just now an article about the new Suzuki Jimny. After seeing the confirmed look for the latest model, the Jimny suddenly vaults into the top of the list of vehicles I would want to own in the Philippines.

It used to be the Toyota Innova that I considered best family car for the Philippines. Times change, and so does opinions. The Innova is huge and most parking spaces aren't getting any wider or longer. I've driven around and my 2001 Rav4 is just the right size for going around Metro Manila. The catch is, it guzzles gasoline.

Before the Jimny I was seriously pining for the Ford Ecosport. Any model, to be precise. I considered it the ideal successor to the Rav4 I was using. It may not be four-wheel drive but the size is almost the same and so is the space.

The new Jimny, however, looks good. I'm just basing it on looks alone. It just looks great, period. And hopefully it becomes a bit roomier inside than the previous model.

I was lucky enough to ride the previous generation Jimny way back in 2004. It was cramped, specially for someone my size. I sat in the back. I also managed to test how cramped it would be if I set the driver seat to fit me then sit in the back. Still cramped. So that is one of my complaints with the Jimny.

The fact that it is only a 3-door vehicle is also an issue. More of safety concerns about exiting the vehicle in a timely manner.

Aside from that, the new Jimny looks ideal for Metro Manila. Small, tall, and hopefully fuel-efficient.

My birthday is just around the corner...

Out.