Tuesday, December 16, 2014

My Trusty Rav4

297/365 - Car Wash for a Cause
An old photo of the Rav4 getting a car wash
I recently had a discussion with a friend about mods I'd do to a dream car. He then asked me what my budget was, and I honestly replied, "None." It was a dream car, and for now it will remain that way. Then I told him if I did have a budget I would most likely spend it to upgrade my trusty Rav4.

The Rav4 still belongs to my mom, as I love to reiterate. However it is technically assigned to me since I use it almost all the time.

Anyway you can guess what this article will be about. Mods to the Rav4. I just gave this an oil change with a BG oil change package that improved consumption by 1km/L. Also the Rav4 was recently fixed for all the issues found during the 45-point check-up it got. So now, in order of priority if I had the money, are the mods I'd do.

Headlights. Again I want to try the all-weather headlights and fog lamps. Plus I did some research online and found a way I might be able to restore the headlights to near brand new look without having to buy a new set of headlights. Unless I decide to buy new fixtures.

Sounds. A new head unit and maybe upgrade the speakers. Nothing too fancy. If I can mount a small but effective sub-woofer that won't eat up too much space I might do that also.

Tint. The car still has no tint. I just need a decent clear tint that can keep the car cool if I am travelling during the daytime.

Rims. I still wish I can get the RS Watanabe looking rims. If not possible I wouldn't mind just getting better looking and lighter rims to improve fuel economy.

Interior decor. I currently work for a company that imports Brembo aftermarket brakes and Sabelt racing gear, to name a few. I plan on getting a few "luxury" items for the car interior. Harness pads for the seat belts and a little something crazy I plan on doing. Plus maybe pedals and footrests, even if the car is an automatic.

Brembo brake pads and discs. This is more of a practical luxury item since the aftermarket pads and discs are built as good as, if not better than OEM discs and pads.

Lowering springs and sports suspension. I want to see how good the Rav4 can handle. And I don't want it too low. Just around 1.5 inches or so.

So you must be wondering why I'm putting Sabelt and Brembo among the last. The answer is simple, the top three mods I've wanted for the longest time. The others are not as crucial for now. Plus these things do cost money, so I have to prioritize the more important details first.

Out.