Monday, May 27, 2013

Optimists and Pessimists

Positive people. I envy them.

I have no idea how they do it, or what goes on inside their heads. How do they keep seeing the bright side? How can they stay cheerful? How can they balance the reality of the situation with the morale enhancing perception of that said reality?

I really wish I could be like them. Cheerful, always looking for the bright side of things. Rarely letting anything get them down. They are beacons of hope in this existence of mine. I have always been in awe of these optimists. I have always been envious of them. I have always wanted to think and feel like they do, but I know for a fact that I cannot.

It must be because I am a pessimist by nature. And the fact that I over analyze things a lot. I blow even the most menial issue into proportions some local telenovela writers would kill for. That's a thought, maybe I should just start writing for telenovelas.


Just this afternoon I was supposed to report on something really important for work. It was a request for extension of time in a project I was managing. Being the pessimist that I am I braced for the worst - me getting fired. Yup, I was in full paranoid mode that I immediately came up with three (somewhat logical, yet extremely stupid) reasons why I could get fired. Good thing I didn't lose my job.

There are times being a pessimist works. Like today. I expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I got an extension, not as much as the team was hoping for. But with the help of my officemates I was able to buy the team some time. And that's good.

Out.