Friday, May 24, 2013

1 TERABYTE?!? HELL YEAH!!!

Flickr announced a few days ago that ALL users would be getting 1 terabyte of space for pictures and videos FOR FREE. Great news.

I've had a Flickr account since around 2005, when this blog started. I got a 2 year Pro Account once, as a gift from some friends I met via Flickr. Then last year I got a three month Pro Account as a gift from Flickr. At that time I backed up all photos from the site, anticipating the time I would return to the normal 200mb account.

For those not in the know, Pro Accounts gave you gigabytes of space and all your pictures could be viewed. The normal account gave you 200mb a month free space, plus only the latest 200 pictures you posted would be viewable.

Now no more problems about space. I can post as much as I want, and I can view all the pictures I've uploaded. It's just a shame because whenever I went back to the normal account I used to delete pictures I didn't "like" anymore. So I've lost my fair share of pics from Flickr. I know I backed them up on a CD-R or DVD-R but I can't seem to remember where I put those pics.

So a big thank you to Flickr, and to Yahoo (who own Flickr if I recall correctly). My passion for photography is growing back.

The downside to the 1 free terabyte is all the people who subscribed for a Pro Account recently. What happens to their purchase? Do they get another terabyte?

Out.