Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Gas Prices

So fuel prices are rising. Again. This time they're at a relatively high PhP54.25 or so per liter for unleaded gasoline. It seems like every week prices increase by around PhP1.00 give or take a couple of centavos.


Now a lot of people complain about this. Even I complain about this. And I have my reasons. No, I don't honestly think oil companies are super-greedy bastards who want to maintain a certain amount of profit. Although I do think that at times. But capitalism rules, so what can I say?


The biggest reason why I complain about oil prices is simple. My purchasing power weakens with every increase in oil prices.


Let's say I get 20L of unleaded for PhP50 per liter. That's PhP1000 total. Now let's say the next week prices increase to PhP51.25 per liter. Now I have to spend PhP1025 for 20L of gas.


So it's only PhP25 difference. Right? Wrong. That's already a big chunk for me. That could have been used to buy me a snack or to buy me a drink. Or medicine. However instead of ending up in other uses, it goes to my gasoline budget. So now I have to start diverting funds from other stuff I could have bought to my gasoline budget. Now imagine doing that every week.


Now some of you may say, I'm a fat guy. The less food I eat the better for me to lose weight and all. But that's not my point. Imagine how other people are feeling about this. They also have to cut back on something else just to afford gasoline.


But hear this. Nowadays I can't even save the same amount of money I used to because now I have to cut back on my savings budget just so I can maintain the funds for my other expenses. Not just food expenses. Groceries, office parking, and other miscellaneous expenses are there. And don't tell me I can scrimp on them, because all of them are honestly more important right now than savings. Sad. But that's life for me. Imagine how other motorists feel, those who make even less than what I make.


On a side note, I'm not implying I make a ton of cash. No sir, I make enough to pay for gas, food, and parking. I can't save, can't even afford to buy my own place, but this rant is for another day.


So there it is. The biggest reason why I dislike rising fuel prices. Because I can spend less on other things.


Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)