Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Down the Drain?

Shit has once again hit the fan. At the end of November the company I work for had to retrench a good number of people. The reason being that we are in a global economic crisis right now, and business isn't really good. Clients haven't really been looking for companies to do their projects, since they're not even sure how much budget they can release for their future projects.

From a business standpoint, I totally understand the decision. You've got to keep the company alive, and it's better to sacrifice a few people rather than keeping everyone then eventually folding. The "lives" of many outweigh the "lives" of a few, yadda yadda yadda. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Indeed.

From a human standpoint, I'm crushed. I've made good friends in the company, and most of them were hit with the retrenchment. It's sad because one of the first clients to stop giving us projects was the clients of my good friends. Technically we're just three of the original five. And I won't be surprised if that number lessens sooner rather than later.

I do have other friends in the office, but the ones I usually hung out with were those guys. And now one by one they are moving on. You might be wondering why I am not hit with the retrenchment. It's because I'm in a different department. They were in the architectural department and I'm in the game dev department. The reason I got close to them was when I entered the company I started my training in the same room they were in.

Oh and have I mentioned that the 3D game dev department is now a one man team? Yep. I'm the 3D game dev department. Sucks. I was recently endorsed to be the lead artist for the 3D game dev team and now I have no team. Oh the irony.

But to be honest, despite the fact that it does depress me, I soldier on. I have to. Getting mired in depression will only make matters worse, and I have to admit, I am a professional. It all boils down to the fact that I have to do my job because that is the reason they pay me.

In a way you could say I have been desensitized to what's happening. I've become numb to my own grief at the loss of good friends. I've adopted my old belief that I don't go to work to make friends, I go there to do my job - if I make any friends then that's just bonus.

As for my friends who got the axe, on the bright side they are not tied down anymore. They are now free to seek better opportunities, whether here or abroad, and better fortunes without having to worry about resigning and the process that comes with resigning. And I wish them the best of luck.

Out.

PS - It may seem odd that I suddenly opened up with this online, considering I try to avoid revealing too much about myself and my life here. But to be honest I have tried to make this post as general as possible, and I have not named any names. So if any of you figure out what the heck I'm talking about then that just means you know me pretty well.

PPS - If the format of this post is a lot different than my other posts it's because I am using a Mac laptop instead of my usual PC, reason being that my PC has a bad case of a keylogger virus and I'm not sure if I effectively removed it or not. Oh well - a few more weeks and I'll be upgrading anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)