Sunday, December 14, 2008

Random Musings

I guess it's time to "open up" about work a lot more than I usually do. I will be mentioning some incidents but I will be as general as possible. After all, this is my blog and I am free to write about what I want to write, while at the same time respecting my right to privacy at the same time.

What a year it has been. I left my first ever job and moved into a new job. I was thinking it would be a great opportunity to learn new stuff in my chosen field, and I was right.

I learned how to use new techniques and new software. I was able to expand my knowledge on some software I was currently using. I learned to be more confident of my skills. I also managed to get myself exposed to more people in 3D, and I was able to compare myself to them, skills-wise. I'd have to say that I now know I can hold my own against other 3D artists. That is a fact, and not some delusion I have.

I also got "promoted" to lead artist. That is also a good thing. It shows that the company I work for trusts me and realizes how skilled I am. Not a bad thing to happen, considering I haven't even reached one year working for this company.

But bad things also happened. We got raided for using pirated software. That's true. We got stuck in limbo for a few months.

Then the company lays off a good number of people. This had something to do with the global economic crisis, and I guess it also had something to do with "cleansing the company of bad apples." I'm not blind and I'm not stupid, either. I do know that there were other motives aside from financial when they did the retrenchment.

But that's not my problem. That's the company's problem. I just have to do my job everyday. And I have no problems with that. All my concern is my job security. Because just last Friday another one was let go. This coming week will be his last week. The company just got him to finish his tasks then boom.

That worries me. Because I'm also about to finish a certain task for the company. Who's to stop them from letting me go after I finish my task?

Then again, I really don't mind if that happens. For one, I will be free to look for better opportunities. Another, all the experiences I've had this past year have made me stronger in so many ways. Even the negatives gave me an edge, because now I know how to deal with those things.

So if ever I am let go, the only one who'll come out of the losing end is the company. Why? Because I'm good - they know it and I know it. Also, they still got me cheap. My pay is acceptable, but I know I am worth more. Plus if ever they let me go I am almost 100% sure I won't be going back to work for them (unless they offer me a salary upwards of P35k next time).

Yes, I have a price. Everything has a price in this modern world we live in. I can't feed myself with thanks and praise. I need money. Sad as that sounds.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)