Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Return of the Metal

I've been listening lately to lots of '90s metal songs. Actually, just Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, and Helmet. And not exactly all their songs. I've gotten copies of Megadeth, Pantera, and Helmet's best of albums. And they rock.

Plus the fact that I've been doing exercises on my guitar probably adds to the fact that I'm trying my darndest (does anyone even use that word anymore?) to reconnect with my high school days. It's only now that I'm starting to appreciate practicing with the guitar. And only that now that I appreciate the music that I enjoy listening.

I used to like the music because I thought I could relate to the lyrics and stuff. But now I appreciate it for what it is, good metal music. And only now do I realize how awesome the guitarists were and how gifted they were to be able to create that music.

Which brings me to my next topic. The guitar.

Sure I'll never be able to match the skill and speed that Dimebag Darrel (RIP) has, but I am trying my best to be a competent "lead guitarist" instead of the poser I once was in high school. I'm actually forcing myself to do the finger exercises I found boring before. And I can actually see results happening. Patience is indeed a great gift.

I can actually play the first part of the first solo of Metallica's One quite coherently nowadays. Not unlike before when I pretended that I could play it. And the more I get better with the guitar the more appreciative I am of the music I listen to.

Maybe my PS3 getting broken was a good thing after all. It's been almost 2 months since it started acting up and my guitar playing has gotten better in 2 months. Obviously not a coincidence.

Well that's all for now.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)