Sunday, June 05, 2011

Baja Bugs

I have no idea why, but I am really in love with the idea of owning a Baja Bug. Something about the way it looks makes me want to own one, and experience how it drives, how it handles, how it performs.

















Take a look at the images above. Look how nice a Baja Bug looks like. Look at how rugged it looks. That car has character. It looks unique. It looks fun to drive.

And as I wrote before, it would be great for Manila streets. It has good ride height, meaning it could wade some minor flash flooding. You also wouldn't have to be concerned about clearing deep potholes or poorly made speed bumps. You'd just drive over them (carefully, of course).

Although I do have concerns about this car.

First of all, fuel consumption. Assuming you use the existing engine without overhauling it or fixing it, I'm guessing this would do maybe 6km/l at best? Or if ever the engine does get fixed and modded, will it still be a good daily driver in terms of fuel consumption?

Then there's the lack of air conditioning. Yes, Baja Bugs have no airconditioning because a Volkswagen Beetle has no aircon. Which brings me to the fact that Beetles are air cooled. So there is a chance of overheating if this car gets stuck in traffic.

But if I just had the money, free-time, and contacts to buy, fix, and modify a Baja Bug, I would most definitely get one.

I'd fix the engine to produce more power and torque. But I will keep the engine cover, not the common Baja Bug look where the engine is sticking out. I'd make sure there were ways to prevent overheating (like adding oil coolers), I'd make the suspension off-road capable. I'd use wider tires at the rear, but all four tires would be the same diameter. And run-flats. I'd improve the electrical system. I'd use tubular bumpers and add circular fog lamps. I'd put in HID Xenon headlamps.
Hell, I'd add an air-con if it was possible. Just so passengers wouldn't have to worry about the tropical heat here.

A guy can dream, can't he?

Out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)