Thursday, January 04, 2024

[1042] Another DA17 Post

I just recently noticed a glaring quality of life detail I never noticed before in Japan surplus left-hand drive converted DA17 Suzuki Every Van / Wagon. It's pretty major.

There is no left side keyhole for the front door.

I've seen a few videos of DA17 Every Vans from my favorite Japan surplus dealer and most, if not all, DA17V models I saw only had a keyhole on the front right door, or the OG driver side. And this is an issue for me. I find it pretty redundant, and possibly dangerous, to go to the right side of the car to unlock the car then go back to the left side to get in.

It would also be pretty uncomfortable to go in the right and slide into the left, specifically for a person my size and girth.

All is not lost however because I've seen one (only one I'm sure I saw because I paused the video and checked it multiple times) video from another surplus seller that had a DA17V (yes, the Every Van) that had a left front door keyhole. So either some models have then and some don't, or you have to pay extra to have another keyhole placed in our standard position. If that's what it takes for a quality of life improve, then why not. I still think the DA17V non-turbo R06A AGS Every Van is still a nice ride to have.

However it just means I'll need to have a few crucial upgrades/accessories in the event I lose my mind and blow my hard-earned savings on a DA17V Suzuki Every Van.

  • Seat upgrades to use DA17W front seats and the second row split folding "captain's chairs" as well as working seatbelts for both the left and right side front and second row seats. Sorry middle row, not sure if there are lap belts for you either.
  • 7-inch Android Auto ready head unit with reverse camera and front and rear dash cams. I don't mind getting whatever they can install, upgrading these and adding additional speakers can come some other time. What's important is that I can use Waze or Google maps and I have additional cameras for security and safety.
  • Top load carrier roof rack. At least they'll register the Every Van with the top load option so I can use it just in case.
I didn't even bother adding front fog lamps as an important modification since I rarely drive at night and we can probably add that in the future along with the better sound system.

Out.