Monday, April 24, 2023

[986] Intermittent Intermittent Fasting

I started intermittent fasting, or IF, around 2019. When I started it I was doing it every other day as I was getting my body adjusted. Thanks to IF I did lose a decent amount of weight, going down from maybe 101kg to around 92kg. I did the 16/8 IF which is 16-hour fast and 8-hour eating window.

Eventually I was able to do daily IF, and along with portion control I got my weight down to the high 80s. In fact during the peak of the pandemic lockdowns I was at 85kg. Nowadays I'm hovering between 88kg to 90kg, and to be honest I'm quite fine with that.

However since last week I've stopped doing daily IF. I've noticed lately that I've been feeling dizzy and weak, and I used to be able to do 17 to 18-hour fasts. Nowadays I just last enough to do my 16-hour fast. I also noticed that my weight is increasing to the aforementioned 88kg range, and that I've been eating more.

I think I figured out why I've been getting dizzy and eating a lot lately, it's probably because I've started jogging. I used to be able to do a minimum 16-hour fast or longer and not feel weak when I was doing my morning walks or bike rides, but I guess doing jogging requires more fuel. This was confirmed by my doctor friend who did say I need to eat.

So my new rule is no fasting when I jog in the morning. However this doesn't mean I can eat all I can, I'm now trying to do portion control yet again.

Honestly I'm not trying to drop below 88kg. I'm still capping my weight at 90kg. Hopefully with my increased jogging days and portion control I can control my weight again, but my biggest focus for not doing IF is so I don't feel dizzy anymore.

Maybe what I was feeling was similar to bonking in cycling, except not as bad. I'm not sure, and since this is only day 2 of not fasting when I jog I still need to do more reps to see the results.

Out.