Wednesday, February 19, 2020

[835] Two Car Garage 2020 Edition

It's that time of the year again where I start daydreaming about what cars I'd like to own here in the Philippines.

As usual my categories for the two cars I'd love to own should be:


  1. The car should be legally sold here. Meaning you have to buy it from a legit dealer here.
  2. Practicality. I could say I'd love two own a Ferrari and a Lamborghini here, but both would be highly impractical. Bad roads, not enough passenger seating, cost of gas, cost of maintenance, size, etc also plays a factor.
  3. The two cars can't be the same brand. Why? I read a few months ago one of the ideas to help ease traffic in Metro Manila would be to ban specific car brands during a specific day of the week. I don't think this will happen but you never know in this country.
And that's it I guess. Three things I considered. Surprisingly I chose two rides that cost a little over PhP 1 million. So without further ado, here are the two cars I'd love to have for my two car garage 2020 edition.

Honda BR-V 1.5 S CVT. Looks good, can seat seven (if needed, I'm guessing it can seat five comfortably), decent space for cargo if you flip the rear-most seats. This may be the one of the most expensive choices among what I consider it's peers (namely other 1.5L MPVs like the Suzuki Ertiga, Toyota Avanza, Toyota Rush, Honda Mobilio, and the Mitsubishi Expander) but the BR-V also has the best power and torque output among them. Plus the ground clearance is also one of the highest. I don't have to worry about overtaking in the highway with the BR-V nor do I have to worry if it can climb inclines if it is fully loaded. Plus it has decent clearance that you don't have to worry about accidentally scraping the bottom of the car in deep potholes.

You may be wondering why I didn't choose the Suzuki Ertiga GL AT as the first car. The Ertiga is actually my "If I could only have one car for the Philippines what would it be" choice. This post isn't about owning one car, it's about owning two. So the reason why I'm not picking the Ertiga now is because I'm picking this Suzuki as my second car.

Suzuki Jimny GLX (Monotone) AT. A three-door, smallish true four-wheel drive vehicle. This would be the back-up, color coding car. Or if my wife learns how to drive, this will be my car and she can use the BR-V. Yes, it's small. Yes, it's cramped. Yes, it doesn't seem very practical. But for a city driving, occasional off-roading vehicle? Yes please.

Finally, what colors would I want both cars? Simple, white or silver. Reason being that they don't get as hot as dark colored cars if they stay long under the sun. Plus they hopefully will be easier to spot both in the morning or in the evening.

Anyway that's it. Two practical cars I would love to have in my garage. I didn't choose the Innova since it's really pretty expensive, and the latest model is massive in size. With the traffic and tight parking spaces you'd need smaller rides. Plus both the BR-V and the Jimny have good safety features.

Makataya nga sa lotto.

Out.