Thursday, March 08, 2018

[767] Windows User Name

I recently discovered that the cause of some errors when I use my 3D programs is because my Windows account uses the character "ñ" in it. Apparently some programs cannot understand that and it causes significant issues.

I discovered this because when I was trying to export to glTF using Substance Painter, it would always result in errors. After a couple of days of searching the internet for answers, I discovered the answer in, of all places, a 3ds Max forum.

I created a new user account and tried exporting again and it worked. So I fixed my local Windows accounts and now I am using an account that has no special characters.

Lesson learned: Next time I get a new workstation just use some witty nickname or drop the "ñ" and just use a regular "n."

Out.