Sunday, September 23, 2012

Remembering the Singapore F1 Grand Prix 2011

I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to watch the 2011 Singapore Formula 1 Grand  Prix with my father. It was one of those times that I will always remember and cherish. It happened almost a full calender year ago, and tonight, as I await the 2012 Singapore GP to start, I've decided to write down the things I still remember about those amazing three days Dad and I spent in Singapore.

  • The F1 cars are really loud. The Porsche Carrera GT cup cars and the lower formula cars were loud, but paled in comparison to the marvelous F1 cars. I tried to listen to one or two F1 cars pass without ear plugs, and it hurt. Then I made the mistake of taking off my ear plugs when about four or five F1 cars were just seconds apart and passing by our section of the grandstand. Amazing sound, big mistake. Even the backmarker F1 cars were really loud.
  • McLaren's cars are shiny. Mirror-like silver paint job. When you look at them at night you can really see the sheen.
  • Most of the drivers enjoy the events taking place before the race. Like the driver's parade. I remember Lewis Hamilton and a few other drivers filming the grandstands as they passed by. Vettel was waving to the crowd. Schumi was lounging at the back of his vintage car. They all seemed to be having fun, or at least enjoying the last few stress and pressure free moments before the race started.
  • The Red Bulls, and some other cars, had this weird drill-like sound whenever they hit the brakes at the turn past our place in the grandstand. Dunno if that was due to traction control (do they even still have traction control?) or if the undercarriage of the car was rubbing against the curbs.
  • Finally, the track crew was amazing. There was one section of the track that needed repair before the race and they managed to do it with no delays to the schedule. Awesome job.
Well, those are some of the memories I had of the 2011 Singapore Grand Prix. The best memories I have are the times Dad and I had a blast watching it live.

Out.