Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My "Dream" Refrigerator

Back in my grandmother's house in Lucena there used to be an old Fridigaire refrigerator. It was, if I'm not mistaken, maybe a 70s or earlier model. I remember this because I used to raid it for food when I was younger.


Now that I'm a lot older than before, I still remember that ref. And I want to bring it here to Metro Manila, upgrade it myself, and use it at home. Because man that ref looks nice. Very retro, very sturdy.


Now, I have no idea how to restore and modify a refrigerator. But it would be a nice pet project to do during weekends. I just need the know-how and the parts to do it. And I also need a big pick-up truck and some burly men to help me bring it here.


So what would I do with it? I guess fix the interior, make sure the seals are snug, and replace the cooling unit to more energy efficient and environmentally friendly parts. Of course, I'd also paint it both inside and out. In either the original white color or maybe some nice pastel color. If I'm crazy maybe do some pinstriping on the outside.


Why am I suddenly thinking of this? I've been seeing a lot of the show Kings of Restoration on History Channel. Those guys are amazing, and it seems like what they do is both fun and a way to preserve our past. I would love to restore some classic piece and modernize it.


Out.