Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dwelling on the What Ifs

I just realized today that I dwell too much on the past. I dwell too much on the "what ifs" and "what could have beens" more often than I should. In fact, I think I should force myself to stop thinking about things that will never happen, or are highly unlikely to happen (like winning the lottery - something I always daydream about).


Don't get me wrong, its not bad to dream. What is bad is if you focus too much on your dreams and it eventually becomes an anchor that drags you down. Something that happens to me a lot of times. I think too much about things that are out of my control, I start to think how my life would be so much better if those things happened or did not happen, then I start to get depressed. It's not really that healthy.


Dreaming and using those dreams to achieve your goals is good. Dreaming and getting depressed is not good. Obviously.


So what should I do? I should stop thinking about the what ifs and what could have beens. I should start viewing them (since I can't totally stop thinking about them) in a positive way. And I should learn to deal with the cards I was dealt with, or the cards I chose to have. It should be that simple. And hopefully I can do just that.


At least now I know my problem, and I seem to have found a solution to it.


Out.