Sunday, April 19, 2015

Refurbished Pallets

Since I started watching Tiny House Nation I've gotten a lot of ideas about refurbishing used items, specifically pallets.

We have lots of used pallets at work, and originally I was planning on buying some of them so I could refurbish them at home with my dad into various different useful stuff. 

We're expecting a shipment of items at work, and our stock area was a total mess. My boss wanted to create some shelves from our old pallets so we had vertical space to stack stuff instead of everything on the floor.

With his approval I proposed a design for a three-tier rack based on used pallets. Yesterday with the help of my boss' all-around driver we managed to create two racks. Here's some photos from our projects.

The first thing we did was remove the three legs of the pallets, and I decided to keep the base intact. We also reused the nails that were holding the pallets together.
Refurbishing Pallets
Starting our rack
Making the legs stand up gave us three levels instantly. Plus another good thing is all levels are raised off the floor, to avoid having our stock get wet.
Refurbishing Pallets
Pallets fit on legs so no need to cut anything
We needed to modify my initial design. In the first rack we used four legs only. The second rack we added a fifth support leg along the middle of the length of the shelf. This added stability to the rack and I'm guessing increased the load capacity per shelf. We also changed the orientation of how we placed the legs on the racks.
Refurbishing Pallets
First rack, note the lack of fifth leg
And there you have it, two refurbished racks we now have in our storage area. Our floor space got a lot less cluttered because we are now using vertical space, plus we were able to save some money because we didn't have to buy racks for storing. Oh, and we decided to add a fifth leg to the first rack for added stability.
Refurbishing Pallets
Notice we changed how the legs were oriented on the second rack
I also learned a lot of "carpentry" stuff building the racks.

The only downside I can see is now my body is very, very sore because aside from building racks, we had to move all the stuff around. As you can see from some photos we did not finish moving the stuff. We were too tired after all.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)