Thursday, April 15, 2010

Friends?

This has been nagging me for quite some time now. Since I got married actually.

See, I don't consider myself to have many good friends. And the people I invited to my wedding were people I really wanted to see. These were people whom I consider my good friends.

I invited them months ahead of my wedding date so they could free up their schedules or let me know if they won't be able to attend. I'd understand if they were busy or if they had no more leaves left.

But here's the thing. Some people said they'd make it. And they didn't. Last minute text messages saying they were at work, or out of town for an emergency. Now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. At least the latter excuse. But the former? Goddammit, I let you know months ahead of my wedding date and you can't make it because you have work?

As for the out of town emergency, fine. I won't really know if you were out of town, right? So I guess that's that.

What frustrates me most are these two people. They've been "friends" of mine for years. And on my special day they can't make time to attend? Fine. I guess that shows how much they valued our friendship.

What I felt was the slap in the face was that after they sent their apologies they never contacted me again. Never.

Then there's another friend of mine. He said weeks before the wedding that he might not make it to the ceremony, but that he'll do his best to make it to the reception. No problem, as long as he makes it. He shows up in to the ceremony and the reception. Now that is a friend.

I realized a lot about my friends that day. I saw the people I'd go to war with (figuratively speaking, of course) and I saw the ones I'd brush off. Yes, I know I should not dwell on those things and just let things slide.

But revenge is a dish best served cold. And I never, ever forget.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave a comment on my blog. :)